If you are here then you will probably agree that a hose pipe is modern day garden necessity. Saving you hundreds of trips carrying a cumbersome watering can.
But what style and how much to spend?
BestHose.co.uk have reviewed and tested a wide range of garden hose to suit every need.
Whether your are an avid gardener with acres of space or you have a patio or window box to take care of – our reviews will help you find the right hose for the right price – quickly and easily.
Here is a summary of our top picks, or you can read detailed reviews further down:
- Price: £££
- Length: 30m
- Type: Retractable
- Exceptional features, longevity and value
- Price: £
- Length: 50-100ft
- Type: Expandable
- Well priced, high quality expandable hose
- Price: £
- Length: 15m
- Type: Starter
- A quality Hozelock hose and connectors to get you started!
- Price: £
- Length: 100m
- Type: Expandable
- Well priced, good quality expanding hose
- 1 Best Garden Hose Pipe to Buy in 2021
- 2 1. Hozelock Auto Reel with 30m Hose
- 3 2. Hozelock 30m Starter Hose Starter Set
- 4 3. Gardena Classic Hose Reel Set
- 5 4. Hozelock Compact 2in1 Reel with 25m Hose
- 6 5. Flexi Hose Lightweight Expandable Hose 50ft
- 7 6. Kärcher HR7.320 Premium Hose Reel
- 8 7. Kärcher CR3.110 Compact Hose Pipe Box
- 9 8. Gardena Comfort Wall-Mounted Hose Pipe Box 35m
- 10 9. Magic Garden Hose Pipe 100 ft
- 11 10. HOMOZE 50ft Expandable Hose
- 12 11. Hozelock Pico Reel Compact 10m Hose
- 13 12. Hozelock 20m / 30m / 50m Hose – With Assembled Cart
Best Garden Hose Pipe to Buy in 2021
The Hose The Puts Itself Away!
Sounds like our idea of heaven in my garden!
This hose is edging towards the upper end of the market price wise, but is very different from almost all other hose pipes.
However – it is sill very affordable when you consider how long it will last and the hassle and time it will save you over the years manually reeling the hosepipe back in every night.
This is a hosepipe with some epic qualities!
It is SO easy to use and the smoothly unwinding auto reel allows you to stop pulling the hose at any point to water.
– The reel mechanism automatically locks meaning you don’t have to use your other hand to hold the hose taught. (No tug of war.)
The two shining features in this little gem are the:
- auto rewinding feature
- 180 degree coverage
(Lets explore those in more detail.)
So you have finished using the hose – imagine just being able to give a gentle tug and to watch the hose pipe wind itself back up.
No mess, no annoying manual winding, no knots or lifting.
Well thats exactly what this hose does.
The ‘Auto Reel’ system is a patented automatic self winding gadget that gently pulls the hose back in with a unique braking mechanism to ensure a controlled rewind.
No winding, no kink, tangles or effort. Perfect!
The other great feature is the 180-degrees swivel of the bracket.
Which makes it way easier to reach all areas of the garden without putting strain on the wall bracket for turning corners.
There is also an integrated child lock, ensuring the hose is only pulled out when you need to water the garden.
The plastic case surrounding the hose is a UV stabilised Polypropylene heavy duty plastic which extends the life of your hose against sun and weather damage.
(This case can also be easily removed from the wall bracket for winter storage.)
As always with Hozelock products – the pipe itself is made of three durable layers of weather and UV protection too.
It’s also anti kink to give you the minimum amount of fuss when using it.
All of the relevant fittings you will need are included in the kit, tap connectors, hose attachments, a feeder hose and adjustable spray nozzle.
- 180 degree turn on the wall mount
- Auto hose rewind feature (no excuse not to to put the hose away after each use!)
- Durable and high quality hose pipe, plastic accessories and outer case
- 2m feeder hose included – so you don’t loose length from your actual hose
- Available in 10m, 20m, 30m and 40m lengths
- Quite a bit more expensive than standard hoses
- Has to be wall mounted. (If you do not want to drill into your wall, you cannot use the hose pipe)
- The auto wind feature can and probably will wear out eventually – it depends on usage, how carefully it is treated etc.
- It is heavy to start with and even heavier when it is full of water, so it needs to be very well secured to the wall
Weight Around 10kg
Size 65 x 54 x 26.2 cm
Length 30m / 98ft
Guarantee: 5 years
A trusted brand and a very reliable ‘get the job done’ hose pipe.
The starter set comprises of the standard hosepipe, a basic nozzle and the necessary tap connectors.
With four layers of braided reinforcement, there is no need to worry about the hose getting easily damaged or leaking.
(Even if it ‘accidentally’ gets left out for days at a time!)
The tap connector is the classic Hozelock tried and trusted connector.
We have confidence that you will have no problems and that it will last a long time.
Unfortunately, there is no reel stand or hook included with the starter set to store the hosepipe between uses. But these can be purchased in a variety of styles and are relatively inexpensive.
This is great starter set, the perfect gift for a young couple moving into a new home. It is also available in 15m, 30m and 50m lengths. So its perfect for most garden sizes.
It contains everything you need to get going and won’t take up a tonne of space.
- Reliable and hard wearing
- 4 layers of reinforced material
- Weather proof with UV and frost protection
- Affordable – good for a first hose purchase
- 30m length
- No stand included, and there is no way of storing it neatly without one really.
- Can kink easily – it’s quite springy
Size: 11.5 x 34 x 33 cm (when stored in a coil)
Length: 30m / 98ft
Guarantee: 10 years
A durable and long lasting hosepipe for a reasonable price.
So how does it differ from the other major leading brand Hozelock?
Gardena standard hoses are slightly thinner than Hozelock, which makes them a little more easy to handle; they are lighter and easier to wind in manually as they’re a bit less stiff.
This does not affect the water power as long as you have a good water pressure.
We really like the ergonomic non slip handle on the easy wind stand.
This hosepipe comes with everything you need.
The set includes an adjustable spray nozzle and a choice of hose lengths. The reel is included and is easy to carry as it’s made of a strong but lightweight plastic.
Gardena hoses are available in 10m, 15m, 20m, 50m and 60m lengths to suit every garden.
Whilst the 10 metre and 20 metre hose lengths come as a set with the carry along floor standing reel, the larger hoses are bought separately and you can choose to buy a wall mounted reel or a pull along trolley reel.
The triangle shaped floor standing reel is one of the better ones as is not too heavy to pick up but is also cleverly designed as a triangle so the water will still flow even if it tips up if you pull it too hard.
How annoying is it when you pull the hose on a standard reel and it tumbles forward kinking the pipe and stopping the water flow. Instead of having to go back to the reel to stand it up again, the Gardena one will just fall onto its third leg and allow you to continue using it.
The reel also has a low centre of gravity, meaning it will be less likely to fall over in the first place.
I also like the fact the winding handle tucks away when not in use. Not very pleasant when you catch your ankle on a hose reel handle that is sticking out awkwardly all the time.
- Affordable and practical
- Looks smart with unique orange, grey and blue design
- Spray heads included
- Well design reel and stand, allows you to keep using it even if it tumbles over.
- Fairly light to carry thanks to plastic structure.
- Larger hose sizes (30m plus) do not come with a stand, this is an additional cost to buying the hose.
- No spray gun, only a nozzle, which is fine for many people, but some people just prefer the spray gun.
The Hozelock 2 in 1 is a lightweight, easy to manage great all round hose.
The outer case has a robust feel. (The heavy weight plastic feels tougher and more durable than other compact wind up hose pipes.)
This hose can be used as a free standing hosepipe reel and carried with the inbuilt handle. Or it can be mounted to a wall.
It is super lightweight, which is a great thing – it’s not such a struggle to carry the hose around.
However, the fact that it is so lightweight is also a slight problem.
If you walk with the hosepipe letting the hose unwind with the unit sitting on the ground, it can drag along with you – depending on what surface and how hard you pull as it is too lightweight to stay grounded to the floor.
The wall mounted option seems like a great idea, for easy storage and to save bending to wind it back up.
However, the force and pressure required to wind the hose back in is quite intense, so may sure it is very well secured to the wall first!!
(You may want to use your own wall plugs/ screws, if you have some very long stronger ones – for extra peace of mind.)
The Hozelock compact comes with a 25m hose, and all of the needed tap connectors, spray nozzle, wall bracket and screws.
It is fully portable, with a hand and lightweight in design, but with all of the durable and quality features you would expect from a Hozelock hose pipe.
The ‘manual layering’ is a good feature, (of course the automatic reel is better – but that costs more.)
The manual system allows you remotely layer the hosepipe when winding preventing twists and kinks.
(There is a viewing window to help you do it correctly.)
- Long lasting hosepipe, nozzle and connectors
- Lightweight and easy winding (remote manual layering system) means it distributes the hose evenly around the cylinder
- The casing around the hose gives added protection from wear and tear throughout the year
- You have to built it yourself which can be tricky – follow the instructions carefully when it comes to the handle!
- If using the wall bracket you will probably need longer wall plugs and screws to support the weight
Size 36.6 x 22.4 x 38.2 cm
Length 25m / 82 ft
Warranty: 2 years
This extendable hose is super lightweight and much more well built that some of the other, cheaper magic hoses available on the market.
It comes with brass fittings, an 8 function spray gun and all of necessary connectors so you can simply open it, clip it on and get going straight away.
This expandable hose is a more recently designed manufacture and they have learned from all the mistakes of expanding hoses that came before. The fittings and stronger, it can stand higher pressure up to 12 bar. The material is also more durable and longer lasting and it can be used as a feeder hose for a pressure washer.
Amazingly, this hose is still one of the cheapest available, priced at just over £20 is it a bargain.
When you hold it, it doesn’t feel flimsy or basic. It feels high quality and like it was built to last for longer than just one Summer, like some of the other hoses I have tried.
The pipe extends to up to 50ft when in use making it the perfect length for general garden and car washing use.
But for a little more money, you can also purchase a 75ft or a 100ft hose depending on your needs.
The pipe contracts to an impressively small bundle which can neatly be stored in a box, bucket or other small container.
We love the lightweight design, making it perfect for people who struggle to carry a traditional hose pipe on a metal frame.
- Well built magic hose pipe.
- Multifunction spray gun
- Lightweight and manageable (no manual winding onto a stand – just throw it into a bucket if you want to keep it together)
- Doesn’t kink
- Water flow is controlled by the tap not the hand held gun
A tidy, compact and robust garden hose pipe for the average sized garden.
The Kärcher HR7.320 comes with a 15m ‘Primo Flex hose’ which is a material made from 3 unique layers.
Inside is a woven pressure resistant reinforced layer, coated in an opaque middle layer to prevent algae formation in the hose and an outer layer, made of a weather resistant, UV protective material.
The hose is wound onto a neat little stand which sits inside an outer plastic unit which is wall mountable.
The hose pipe can be used straight from the wall mounted unit like many other hosepipes of a similar price range. Alternatively, the stand that the hose is wound onto can be easily lifted out and carried into the garden or to the area of work.
There is a nifty little built in compartment for storing hose accessories in the main outer unit. You can also clip the onto the bottom of the unit, to have quick access.
If the storage compartment is full, there are accessory holders attached below the unit to hang bulky accessories.
(No more hunting for hose accessories that have gotten lost somewhere in the shed. I love it when a design is well thought through.)
It also comes with 3 universal free flow connectors, 1 aqua stop connector and a tap adaptor to ensure that it will be easy to integrate into your home.
My favourite part is that when you unhook the tripod reel part from the wall mount, you essentially have something almost identical to the Gardena hosepipe I mentioned earlier.
- Easy to mount onto the wall
- Heavy duty, built to last with a high quality hosepipe
- Extra storage built in underneath to hide and protect awkward attachments
- Compact design
- Power washer compatible
- More expensive for less hose length
- A little awkward to wind back up neatly when sitting in the wall mount, but honestly, its easier tuning the handle at waist height than trying to bend to the ground to reel it in.
Size H51, W46, D29cm
Length 25m / 82 ft
Guarantee: 2 years
A lightweight and easy to manage version of the regular Kärcher garden hose.
The compact comes with 10m of hose so it it perfect for small gardens, patios and balcony type areas.
It comes with a:
- 2 pattern spray gun
- water stop connector
- one universal connector
- threaded tap connector
- adjustable spray nozzle
This hose can be bought with a variety of options. The cheapest bundle contains all of the attachments and spray head that you need to get going. This is ideal if you are buying this a replacement hose and already have a section of feeder hose attached to your outdoor tap.
If you do not have a feeder hose (the part that takes water from the tap to the hose box reel, then you should opt for the set that includes a feeder hose and all the necessary attachments. For a few pounds more, it is worth it to save the hassle of having to cut a section of hose pipe.
The neat little compact box unit can be wall mounted and doesn’t stick out too far.
The bracket and required fittings are also included.
(It doesn’t have to be wall mounted and can just be placed on the floor.)
The hosepipe can be used straight from the wall or carried around the garden using the ergonomic handle.
If you are holding the hose box in one hand, the spray pattern flow can be adjusted with just one hand so you don’t need to keep picking up and putting the box down.
Its a simple little gadget that does the job very well..
The Kärcher is very lightweight, at 2.7kg, so you are not going to struggle to walk with it.
The hose pipe winds up neatly like a regular extension lead, using the dial on the side of the casing.
- Easy to mount onto the wall
- Compact design
- Lightweight hand-held design
- Ideally needs to be held/removed from the wall bracket when in use
- Winding handle is fiddly for some people to use, if you have weak wrists or suffer with problems like arthritis for example, you may struggle to hold the knob to reel to entire hose in.
- Water often remains inside the hose after use, and as you are likely going to be holding the box unit, you will likely get water on your feet. Not a massive problem, but worth mentioning.
Size H50, W39, D33cm
Length 10m / 32 ft
Guarantee: 2 years
The Gardena auto roll up hose is the most expensive entry in our top 10.
It is very similar to the Hoselock Auto-Reel – So why the higher price?
It is certainly robust, with a hardwearing outer case and sturdy wall mount bracket included.
The hose is available with lengths of 15m, 25m, 30m and 35m. We have chosen the 35m as it works out at the best value for money.
Each size of hose comes with an extra separate 2m hose for the feeder pipe.
It features its own unique version of the ‘auto reel’ which makes it SO easy to put this hose pipe away.
No more bending, winding or dirty hands!
Inside the box you will also fins an adjustable spray nozzle, tap connectors a standard hose connector with Gardena system fittings. (Compatible with all standard fittings.)
The hose is made of high quality and durable materials and is 13mm / 1/2” diameter, this ensures a high water flow. When pulling the hose out to use, it is easily withdrawn in short intervals of 50cm.
So again, no fighting to hold the tension!
In the same way as the Hozelock one, a simple pull of the hose means it will easily retract the hose and rewind it neatly onto the reel.
Extra accessories can be conveniently hung on the wall bracket.
The total weight of the unit is 9kg. So it’s still heavy, but lighter than the Hozelock.
The wall bracket has a 180 degree swivel, for easy reach of the whole garden and space saving as the hose box can be pushed flat against the wall between uses.
The whole unit lifts easily off the wall for winter frost free storage.
So that leaves us still wondering why you would choose this auto retractable hosepipe over the Hozelock one.
Well, if you have ever used this brand before you will know they are reliable and stand the test of time.
The colours are grey, blue and turquoise, which is a refreshing change from the bright yellow of Hozelock.
You’re paying a premium price, and getting an excellent quality product. Every element speaks of quality and luxury. The materials feel beautiful and of premium quality.
- Highest quality and long lasting
- Auto reel winds in the hose after use without any manual winding – tidying the hose away is no longer a chore
- High power water flow and extra length of feeder hose pipe included
- Most expensive hose pipe
- Heavy and awkward unit
- Must be wall mounted to use, you need to be confident at DIY to get the bracket on the wall, or ask someone to do it for you.
Weight Around 9kg
Size H50.8, W27.9, D50.8cm
Length 25m / 32 ft
Guarantee: 2 years
The bargain buy of our review.
Super cheap for a 100ft hose and with some really good features we had to include this bargain back garden beauty in our best hosepipes review.
The hose pipe extends to 100ft and is the ‘magic’ type.
When emptied of water it shrinks back to a small and compact size for easy storage.
From past experiences with magic hoses, all we can say is make sure you read the instructions that come with it! They need special care that you don’t necessarily have to do with traditional hosepipes. They need to be stored inside throughout the winter and kept out of harsh sun in summer. They should also ideally be stored off the ground day to day, as one accidental foot treading on the hose can cause it to split quite easily.
Also, if water is left in the hose, it may break, start leaking or burst.
However, if you treat it properly and let the water run out when you have finished using it you shouldn’t have any problems at all.
- Super cheap
- Easy to store
- Long reach 100ft
- Comes with a general multi-function spray gun and tap connector wall hanging bracket and storage bag.
- If used incorrectly in any way, it will break
- Fairly cheap plastic components
- Won’t last as long as some of the more durable brands on the market
Length: 100ft when expanded / 30.4m
Guarantee: No specific mentions
A cheap and cheerful magic expandable hose.
This one comes with brass fittings instead of plastic fittings supplied with other magic hoses.
It looks rather cool actually, in a black, gold and grey design.
When you have finished using it, simply let the water out and the hose will shrink back to its small and convenient size.
The pipe expands up to 3 times its original size to 50ft, making it perfect for the average sized garden.
It has been designed to be more durable than other expandable hoses on the market. The brass fittings simply slick onto your tap and will not leak.
This magic hose has a double later inner tube to prevent leaks, and a strong fabric outer casing. It is suitable for use with pressure washers, as a feeder hose to the pressure washer. Do not attempt to use this hose under the high pressure of a power washer or it will likely explode.
This HOMOZE expandable hose gives a very good water pressure and does not leak from the connections.
- Very affordable
- Anti-tangle hosepipe / anti kink
- 8 function spray gun included
- Easy and compact to store between uses neatly and safely away from light and frost damage.
- Super lightweight, easy to manage.
- Won’t last as long as some of the more heavy weight and robust hosepipes available from names brands such as Hozelock and Gardena.
- Can’t be left outside over winter and should keep out of hot sun in summer.
Length: 50ft when expanded
Guarantee: 90 days money back
This is the perfect all in one hosepipe for small to medium sized gardens.
It works like a wind out extension lead, like the one you may use to cut your grass.
This Hozelock set comes with everything you need to get watering. Including the tap connector.
(Just check that your outside tap is compatible.)
If you are using an inside tap – your kitchen tap for example, you may be better to get the ‘Pico hose reel bundle’ which includes the adaptor to use on other styles of taps if you don’t have a regular outdoor tap.
(You can see this Pico Hose Reel bundle here on Amazon for just a few pounds more than the standard kit.)
Why is the Pico Reel better suited to me than other Hozelock hosepipes?
If you have limited storage space for your garden tools, or if you have a fairly small to medium garden space. – There is no point in lugging around a huge 30 metre heavy hosepipe and stand if you don’t need to.
Remember, although the hose length may only be 10metres, the jet spray of water will actually reach further than 10metres if you angle the spray nozzle, giving you more reach.
The Pico is ideal if you struggle to lift heavy objects, it can be held whilst in use, by the convenient handle, as it is not very heavy. Or it can be placed on the ground by the tap and unwound to the length needed.
The Pico reel is nice as it comes with the Hozelock spray gun, which is easier to hold, grip and to use than the standard nozzle that comes with the Hozelock starter set.
The hosepipe itself is the thinner diameter style of hosepipe which is used by Hozelock on the Auto Reel hose.
The thinner diameter of hose means it is more compact and easier to wind up with the triangular wind up handle (just like winding up and extension lead). However, the thinner tubing does not mean less water pressure. Having seen both the regular thickness of diameter on the standard starter set and thinner diameter of the auto reel, there is little to no difference in water pressure when the hose in in use.
- Lightweight, easy to hold and carry using the built in handle. Can be carried around the garden when in use or left in one spot.
- Easy to wind up, the built in handle means you can hold the lightweight casing with one hand and wind the hose back up with the other hand. – No more excuses for leaving the hose out lying all over the ground!
- Great for storing in garages and sheds, it is lightweight so can be stored on a bench or shelf and won’t take up a lot of room.
- Comes with the Hozelock spray gun as standard, which is more comfortable in the hand, more ergonomic and more advanced than the standard nozzle connector.
- The are not really many at all. One thing is that the hose only comes in one length of 10 metres. You have no choice to buy a longer or shorter hose.
- Winding up the Pico hose by hand is okay when the hosepipe is clean, but if there are bits of wet grass and dirt stuck to the hosepipe, the are likely to flick out onto your hands when winding the hose up.
- 10m length
- 2.6kg lightweight
- Pico reel dimensions: 32.8cm x 26.7cm x 15cm
- Push fit connector
- Can be bought as a bundle which includes the indoor tap convertor
12. Hozelock 20m / 30m / 50m Hose – With Assembled Cart
The Hozelock Hose Cart comes pre assembled which is a relief, it also means you can simple clip the connector on and go.
The drum which holds the hosepipe is large enough to hold up to 60m of hose, so you always buy a connector and add more hose if you want to.
You can also purchase just the cart on its own, which makes it a good purchase if you already have a Hozelock starter kit hose and no reel.
The actual hose length can be bought in different lengths, including 20m, 30m and 50m.
This Hozelock hose cart has large wheels and a steel axle. Pulling the cart is easy thanks to the large wheels. The cart is very stable because it has a wide stance and low centre of gravity.
The winding handle is easy to hold which makes winding up the hose easy, sometimes you may need to place your foot on the frame of the cart to steady it as you wind the hose back on.
The hose, once reeled onto the drum is exposed to the air, there is not casing around it – so if you are keen to keep the hose squeaky clean, you could hose down the actual hose once it is wound up to remove any loose debris and dirt.
Why would this Hozelock hose suit my needs?
The Hozelock hose cart would be absolutely perfect for you if you have a large or very large garden perhaps with multiple taps.
Or if your garden tap is quite far away from where you plan to store the hose, this Hozelock cart would be ideal for ease of transporting.
The wheels and stand will allow you to transport the whole unit easily without struggling to carry a heavy unit.
- You never have to pick the cart up, like with standard reel stands. You simply grab the handle and wheel it to wherever you need.
- Neat and tidy, the hose nozzle end clips onto the frame to keep everything together.
- Large wheels make pulling the cart across grass easy.
- Can be used with larger hoses, if you decide to buy a longer hose, the frame will be able to hold it.
- Unit is ready built, some Hozelock hoses require some set up, this one doesn’t.
- Connectors / tap connector / hose nozzle included.
- Large and bulky, if you have a small shed or storage area, this hose set may not be for you.
- The hozelock cart set does not come with a separate piece of hose to use as the connecting feed which supplies water to the hose on the reel from the tap. You will have to cut a section of your old hosepipe or a small section of the new hosepipe to act as the feeder pipe.
A little awkward to reel the hose back it. Although the stand is heavy and robust, the winding mechanism is quite powerful, so you will likely need to steady the stand with your foot whilst winding in the hose.
- 30m of hose (also available in 20m and 50m.)
- Prebuilt cart
- Connectors included
- Size of reel drum: 58.3cm x 50cm x 45cm
- Weight: Around 7kg
Best Hose Pipe – Luxury
It has to be the Hozelock Auto Reel with 30m Hose.
The auto rewind feature is just brilliant.
As is the quality you can expect to receive with a Hozelock hose pipe.
We love the multitude of Hozelock accessories available and the fact there is rarely ever a problem for anyone with the tap connectors.
The hose has all the extra weather and UV protection you will need and the outer unit helps to increase the life of your new hose.
With a 180 swivel, this also makes awkward garden shapes easier, with no frustrating ‘tipping up’ of a floor stand.
We love everything about this hose and think you will too.
It certainly is an investment well made, the longevity of use and the hassle free practicality of it makes it the perfect wall mounted luxury hosepipe.
Best Budget Hose Pipe
Our pick goes to the Flexi Hose Lightweight Expandable Hose 50ft
It is much more well built than some of the other magic hoses on the market, will last long and will do a grand job!
(Whilst not breaking the bank.)
Unfortunately it has received some negative feedback over the years but this is FAR outweighed by a vast majority of positive reviews. The sellers are also keen to make there customers happy and will of course help you out if you do encounter a problem with your magic hose.
I love the ease of storage for this hose, it can literally be placed into a bucket or adorable crate and not look unsightly.
Also we really like the fact it is super lightweight, there is nothing worse than lugging a hosepipe stand around the garden that weighs more than the average dog.
Great for the average sized garden with 50ft of hose pipe – (which shrinks back to a small and neat crinkly pile when you’re done!) But if you have a bigger garden, there is always a 75ft and 100ft version.
A great all rounder at an affordable price, you can’t go wrong!